Thursday, May 6, 2010

Weaning....

I have decided to wean Tux. For most people this may not be a big deal, but for someone w/ prolactinoma it can be quit difficult! Since I hate the medications that makes it easy for me, I will not be going cold turkey. I started replacing one feeding w/ a bottle yesterday and WOW....not so fun for either of us! My babe loves nursing and so do I. He's never taken a bottle well and I've always had MORE than enough milk for him and probably another baby to boot! I want my prolactin to continue to drop and hopefully get to where I can get pregnant again w/out taking all the bromo and clomid, plus I want to have another MRI soon and that is much easier when I am not nursing.

Anyway, so yesterday was the first day I gave him a bottle. It didn't take long for my body to realize Tux had missed a meal and I was in a fair amount of pain! I applied peppermint oil (reduces lactation) and gritted my teeth. Tux did not take the bottle right away, it took a half an hour of crying and distraction before he finally latched on. Phew! Hopefully today will not be as bad on either of us....his next meal is coming up as soon as he wakes up from his nap. I thought ahead and have already applied the peppermint, so hopefully that will help and soon my body will get used to this skipped meal. The plan is to cut a meal out every week or every other week until all four feedings are formula :( It makes me sad, but I need to get my body back to normal before the next one can be on his/her way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails