Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dr. MacGregor

As most of you know...if you have been reading my blog for any length of time, I struggle with doctors.  I don't hate them, and I consult with them (most of the time)  I just don't agree with their perception of my health and what I need to do to take control of my tumor.  It really sort of ticks me off.  When I explain what I am doing they look at me like I am an idiot and tell me (this is what I hear...not neccessarily what they say)  "You are patient two hundred and thirty seven that I have consulted with prolactinoma.  For every other case this is what I have them do and this has worked for them."  This is what I think and wish I had the guts to say, "Well, guess what genius-that-went-to-twenty-seven-years-of-college-to-tell-me-what-you-do-for-everyone-else!  I am not like the other two hundred and thirty seven people.  I am me and I don't want to feel like crap on meds or give up my ideal perception of the type of mother I want to be.  I don't want to have to have surgery after surgery and possibly end up on replacement hormones the rest of my life.  I want to be healthy, level headed, out of bed, happy and capable.  Please just listen to me  and have an open mind and DON'T tell me I must have been doing something I wasn't to shrink my tumor!  I was NURSING.  You can't be on meds while doing so and I didn't slip across the border and get a magical surgery.  I use OILS :)"

Yeah, this has been how I have felt with my last 4 obgyn's and my last 2 endos and the neurosurgeon I have consulted with (In the last year and a half mind you).  Quite maddening.  Even my last obgyn that I saw for my 8 week appt treated me very similar the the other 3 and he takes a "hollistic approach".  So, over Easter weekend I was doing a booth on essential oils and two booths down from me there was an Obgyn and a nurse and the obgyn's wife.  I went over and chatted with them for about thirty minutes while my friend manned my booth.  I was super straight up with him when telling him about my prolactinoma, issues I have with doctors and what I do for my prolactinoma.  He was actually quite excited that I used oils as he uses them at home with his family!  He was fascinated that they had helped me so drastically and he was surprised that I was pregnant so quickly.  He gave me kuddos on how well I knew my cycle and was very funny and put me at ease!  He told me he had never had a patient with prolactinoma before (he has only been practicing a few years) and therefore he would be researching everything....western, eastern and everything in between to help me do what is best for me!  Whoa!!!!  Really?  Basically I just tell him what I do now, what I want the end result to be and he helps me research and look into things that would help me acheive my goal!  How cool is that!  He is just starting his own practice after being paired up with one of the previous 4 obgyn's I had seen and so he has time + resources to help me do this.

My husband and I went to see him the other day and were quite impressed.  He took us into his office and talked to us for 45 minutes and then gave me a physical and we listened to the heartbeat.  He reiterated his plan of attack to help me in my quest.  He recommended me (and gave me a coupon for a free hour energy work session) to see a woman next door that does energy work and works with oils as well :)  Totally cool.  I'm actually looking forward to my next appt since he will have had time to look over all of my labs and ect.  I plan on taking him my timeline and my complete regime to go over it with him.

So, now the question for all of you.  Am I crazy to choose a doctor that has basically NO experience with prolactinoma to be my doctor?  Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.  Also, I plan on asking him lots of questions, so if any of you have a question you would like me to ask him feel free to email me.

Thank you so much for all of the well wishes and congratulations I have received!  All of you are in my prayers and for those of you wanting to get pregnant....pregnancy vibes are coming your way!!!  Have hope and know that it can happen!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you are crazy for picking a doctor with practically no experience. If it feels right, go for it. And he sounds like he's willing to accept what is best and research it. I say go for it!!:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails