Thursday, July 1, 2010

i hate MRI's

Have I ever mentioned how much I HATE MRI's???  They strapped me down after giving giving me two IV's....one unsuccessful the other semi-successful.  Then they had me hold my own torture device (the contrast syringe) and had me hold 100% still as they backed me into "the machine".  After much contemplation, I have decided that once you are in there and the noises have started it is like having someone sit on your chest while you are on your back and having them rhythmically tap you on the forehead while telling you to "name ten candy bars, name ten candy bars, name ten candy bars, name ten candy bars, name ten candy bars, name ten candy bars, name ten candy bars, "  You can barely think of your own name, much less ten candy bars!



When i was a kid, my uncle tried raising sheep.  I was around 9 or 10 at the time and was the perfect fit for the wool stomping position :)  The attached an 8 foot tall bag to the top of the shed and tossed wool into it.  Once it got about half way full I would hop in and jump and stomp the wool down.  If I was lucky I would pull myself out before they threw more wool in....if I was not, it would come down on top of me and I would feel like I was going to suffocate before wiggling my way above the wool.  Not to mention the ticks!!!  Let's just say that after that, I was extremely claustrophobic and the MRI machine reminds me a bit of the wool bag!

When the annoying, rhythmic buzzing noises are not being made, all I could hear was a noise that sounded like a sick squawking bird.  It was quite disturbing.  I tried so hard to fall asleep, but the IV was bugging me and the table kept shifting so it was nearly impossible for me to take deep enough belly breaths to help fall asleep. Anyway, the overall experience left me extremely anxious the entire day.  Luckily I had both of my boys were waiting for me at home and that helped greatly.....

.....results are forth coming.  I'm really hoping it has shrunk, but as long as it is not growing I will try to be happy!  Considering my rate of growth was quite rapid while pregnant I will try not to be disappointed if it hasn't shrunk a ton.  Plus, I am nursing (well, trying unsuccessfully to quit) and I know it would be very hard to shrink it while nursing.  I really want to get pregnant again in a bit and I don't want to get pregnant until the tumor has shrunk a bit.  My levels were at 110 last week, so they are going down again, but not as fast as I would like.  I guess patience is not my strong suit :)  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Just know that MRI's are non-invasive & harmless (besides freaking the bejezus out of you & your claustrophobia) so be glad you're getting an MRI vs radiation via CT scans, PET scans, being in a cath lab and/or getting many x-rays. ;)

    I'm not claustrophobic but YES that cage was too darn close for comforts!

    -Jello

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails